Like it or not, first impressions matter, especially when you’re looking for a job. According to job search and human resources technologies marketing company Come Recommended, in a survey of 2,000 bosses 33 percent claimed that they know within the first 90 seconds of an interview whether they will hire someone or not.
What impression are you making within those first 90 seconds? Consider these tips for a professional look that will help you get ahead in your job search.
- Know the company you’re interviewing with. Learn about the ennvironment, company culture, and dress code, and make sure your outfit fits within that culture.
- Skip on the perfume or fragrances. Many people have allergies or sensitivities to smelly fragrances, plus you don’t want your scent to be the only thing noticed in the room.
- Make sure your clothing is clean, wrinkle-free and tailored to suit you (not too tight or too baggy).
- Pay attention to your accessories. Too much jewelry or dark nail polish can be distracting or flashy. The key is to look professional.
- Good posture, confident eye contact, and a solid handshake can go a long way.
- A general rule of thumb: You can never go wrong overdressing for an interview.